DRAMA GENRE:
This genre focuses the attention to the characters of the film rather than the plot. The following conventions help to further support the aim of drama films:
- in-depth character development
- hardships/conflicts that heighten the emotions of the characters
- intense themes
- characters are relatable/resonate with the audience
- plot questions the character's morality
- result in a self-reflection
- ending leaves an impactful lesson
The Grapes of Wrath (1940), The Godfather (1972), Fight Club (1999), and The Dark Knight (2008) are some notable films that exhibit the conventions of the drama genre.
I am interested in the drama genre because of its character appeal to the audience. Most of the time, the characters, either minor or main, are relatable in some way to the viewer. I like films that deals with the human condition, which is how the film impacts the character to apply what they've watched into their own lives. For example, a lot of drama films deal with the themes of love and death; these themes are the most prevalent because that's what life is surrounded by: love and death. On screen, it's surreal to be able to relate to a character and view their life parallel to your own.
My favorite drama film is My Best Friend's Wedding, which is directed by P.J. Hogan. My mom showed me this film while I went through a break-up with my guy best friend. At first I hated it because I didn't like the way the movie ended, but I have to admit that I felt comforted and justified by the way that Julia Roberts played the main protagonist as the crazy lady who is in love with her best friend who happens to be in love with someone else.
However, the director I feel that I am most inspired by and aspire to be like is Kenny Ortega, famously known for directing the High School Musical series. I like how he combines the drama genre with the musical genre, creating a relatable film to high school students.
I think my interest in the drama genre means that though I try to stay neural in any sort of drama, I always tend to find myself in the middle of one. But in the end, I am thankful for the dramatic positions and situations I am put in so that I can learn from them and help teach others so they don't make the same mistakes as me; sometimes, I can be the example for others to follow. I really care about other people, so films that deal with the human condition are very important to me.
This genre focuses the attention to the characters of the film rather than the plot. The following conventions help to further support the aim of drama films:
- in-depth character development
- hardships/conflicts that heighten the emotions of the characters
- intense themes
- characters are relatable/resonate with the audience
- plot questions the character's morality
- result in a self-reflection
- ending leaves an impactful lesson
The Grapes of Wrath (1940), The Godfather (1972), Fight Club (1999), and The Dark Knight (2008) are some notable films that exhibit the conventions of the drama genre.
I am interested in the drama genre because of its character appeal to the audience. Most of the time, the characters, either minor or main, are relatable in some way to the viewer. I like films that deals with the human condition, which is how the film impacts the character to apply what they've watched into their own lives. For example, a lot of drama films deal with the themes of love and death; these themes are the most prevalent because that's what life is surrounded by: love and death. On screen, it's surreal to be able to relate to a character and view their life parallel to your own.
My favorite drama film is My Best Friend's Wedding, which is directed by P.J. Hogan. My mom showed me this film while I went through a break-up with my guy best friend. At first I hated it because I didn't like the way the movie ended, but I have to admit that I felt comforted and justified by the way that Julia Roberts played the main protagonist as the crazy lady who is in love with her best friend who happens to be in love with someone else.
However, the director I feel that I am most inspired by and aspire to be like is Kenny Ortega, famously known for directing the High School Musical series. I like how he combines the drama genre with the musical genre, creating a relatable film to high school students.
I think my interest in the drama genre means that though I try to stay neural in any sort of drama, I always tend to find myself in the middle of one. But in the end, I am thankful for the dramatic positions and situations I am put in so that I can learn from them and help teach others so they don't make the same mistakes as me; sometimes, I can be the example for others to follow. I really care about other people, so films that deal with the human condition are very important to me.
Comments
Post a Comment