Themes in Conceptual Film


The theme that I find is most interesting to me is the art in propaganda, especially in illuminating a social cause. It's interesting to me because, even though art serves a purpose in any way personal to the viewer and artist, propaganda art seems to find its purpose in a different area as well. For example, during the World War II era, Walt Disney created animations by request of the United States government, and by his own personal motivation, to help articulate the country's involvement in the war. In Disney's short animated film Commando Duck, the film follows Donald Duck in his dream of being and working in a fascist country, a country that resembles Nazi Germany. In the end, Donald Duck wakes up and is thankful that he is an American citizen with all of his freedoms. In this way, the short film not only continues to display the creative animations of Walt Disney to entertain an audience but to also subtly inform its audience of the world politics of that time and why they should be grateful to live in America. 

I think it’s really powerful when an individual can promote a message as subtly or as boldly as they want through their art. If I were to create a film using this theme of art in propaganda, I would take the recent controversy of President Trump’s wall and advocate his policy to somehow try and convince other people to support his policies as well. I would not make is such as a campaign video since my aim is not to persuade people to vote for Trump but rather to change their minds on the issue of illegal immigrant crossings. I would create a video with a voice-over of a poem that describes the current state of the country and what could be, using words and phrases that satisfy the country of peace and to uphold our policies and freedoms as the Founding Fathers had intended for us years ago. The video would contain beautiful landscapes of our country and pans of people’s faces of different ethnicities to represent our diverse and welcoming country, but that we can be within reason.

Comments